Search This Blog

Friday 10 December 2010

Inverted Car Wheels & Chimney Pots

These two chimney pots I have spotted nearby, used as planters for nasturtiums and the like, are now emptied of their summer white'd stems.  These originally unmarket-sanctioned features would once have been the preserve of those with close contacts in the roofing world, but then garden centres began to purchase replica chimney pots from manufacturers, nullifying the folk element.  Therefore, the true folk suburb example of the found plant pot, to me, remains the inverted car wheel, (including the inside out tyre), often painted a dirty white.  Popular in the late-70s to early-80s, I think, I haven't seen one in many a while.
If anyone knows of one still in existence, I for one would be glad to hear of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment